the use of summary and quotations on when manana is too soon selection by kurt
1) Discussion. For your Week 2 Discussion assignment you will be discussing the use of summary and quotations (direct quotes) in the 8th edition of The Longman writer selection â€œWhen MaÃ±ana Is Too Soonâ€ selection by Kurt Kleiner (pp. 353â€“355). If you do not have the 8th edition, here is a link to the Kleiner article: http://www.thestar.com/sciencetech/article/170857 .
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review Chapters 1, 2, and 3 in They Say/I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing (pp. 19â€“51) focusing on determining what others are saying, summarizing, and using quotations.
- Consider how what â€œThey Sayâ€ affects how the author writes and why.
- Review how the author uses summary in his writing.
- Think about how the author uses quotations to get his point across and allow the writing to be more effective and impact the reader.
Be sure to address the following questions in your posting:
- How did the author use summary and quotations to get his focus across to the reader?
- How did the author introduce his quotations (direct quotes)?
- How did the author incorporate evidence/sources to help build his logos?
- How does having this evidence make the writing more effective?
Remember that the grammar expectation for this week, for all assignments, will be to check for and correct sentence fragments and faulty parallelisms. You can read about both of these grammar points in the â€˜Concise Handbookâ€™ chapter toward the back of The Longman writer textbook.