College Paper Lab
professional letter to your graduate research advisor discussing the hypothetical situation scenario and how you think it should be handled- College Paper Lab | collegepaperslab.com
DISCUSSION BOARD #1 PROMPT: ETHICAL DILEMMAS
Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct. (2017). American Psychological Association. (Required sections: Preamble, General Principles, Section 3.10, and all of Section 8: Research and Publication). If the link does not work, here is the url: http://www.apa.org/ethics/code/index.aspx
You have learned the federal ethical guidelines regarding research in your CITI course training as well as the ethical standards set forth by the American Psychological Association in week 1 of this course. However, your personal ethics and worldview also shape how you interpret the standards in our field. In complex real-life scenarios, professionals may differentially weigh threats to our professional ethics code that result in various outcomes. The following scenarios are meant to help you develop and reflect on how you would choose to act in a professional research-related ethical dilemma. Note: the following scenarios were modified from a publication written by Hammersley and Traianou (2012) for the British Educational Research Association.
- When studying educational challenges when working with special needs students, a researcher is faced by a young adult with severe learning difficulties who demands to be included in the research project along with fellow members of the class, even though her parents have already refused on her behalf. The young adult is 18 years old. What should be the researcherâ€™s response?
Write a professional letter to your graduate research advisor discussing the hypothetical situation (scenario) and how you think it should be handled. Make sure to include the following:
- A professional salutation and tone throughout the letter.
- Briefly describe the scenario and how you think it should be handled.
- Cite at least one ethical standard from the APA Code of Conduct (using both the number and its title â€“ for instance 1.01 Misuse of Psychologistsâ€™ Work). Discuss its relevance specifically as it relates to your situation and your chosen response.
- State the name of the principle from the APA Code of Ethics you believe is most at risk in your selected scenario and if applicable, the federal principle most affected (from the Belmont Report). Discuss your rationale.
- Include citations throughout your letter and a complete reference section at the end of your letter using current APA style format.
Your thread must be at least 400 words.
American Psychological Association. (2017). Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct (2002, Amended June 1, 2010 and January 1, 2017). Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/ethics/code/index.aspx
Hammersley, M. and Traianou, A. (2012) Ethics and Educational Research, British Educational Research Association on-line resource. Retrieved from http://www.learnersfirst.net/private/wp-content/uploads/Ethics-and-Educational-Research.pdf
College Paper Lab – Check our website for more...
PLACE YOUR ORDER NOW